Students applying to the Neuroscience Ph.D. Program do so via the Biomedical Sciences Doctoral Portal.
Domestic applications: Applicants are encouraged to submit complete applications as early as possible. Early applications are given interview priority and incomplete applications may not be considered.
International students who wish to apply are directed to the International Admissions website.
- Baccalaureate degree or its equivalent at the time of enrollment, with an undergraduate GPA of 3.5.
- GRE scores are NOT REQUIRED and will not be used for admission decisions.
- Individuals for whom English is a second language must have TOEFL of 600 (pBT), 250 (cBT), or 100 (iBT) scores; or 6.5 on the IELTS. To report your TOEFL score, use VCU Code 5570.
- Applicants are expected to have had the equivalent of two semesters of General Chemistry, two semesters of Organic Chemistry, and two semesters of upper level Biology courses. e.g. Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Neuroscience, Physiology, Biophysics, etc.
- Previous research experience or demonstration of a serious interest in a research-oriented career is also desirable.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should speak of the scientific competency and experience of the applicant.
- Personal statements including (1) Long-term career goals to assess reasons behind your application; (2) How a Ph.D. in Biomedical Science helps achieve those goals; and (3) Research experience, including dates, places and duration.